INTERNSHIP: Programs Support Intern
LOCATION: Minneapolis, Climate Generation Office
REPORTS TO: Education Coordinator
TYPE: 10-20 hours/week; Feb-July
Climate Generation empowers individuals and their communities to engage in solutions to climate change, with a vision of a world of resilient communities with equitable solutions. Established by Minnesota polar explorer Will Steger in 2006, our work is founded on the power of personal story. We are dedicated to addressing the urgent issue of climate change through our programming that builds climate literacy, develops climate advocates, and elevates leaders. We have a clear vision to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay, and do their best work.
This internship will provide you with experience at a small, mission-driven nonprofit in the field of environmental education and empowerment. This internship position is critical in the planning and implementation of workshops and trainings on climate change education and communication. Along with support from your supervisor, special learning activities, and resources, you will gain knowledge and experience in the areas of climate change, event planning, and networking. You will have the opportunity to develop your personal climate story and work on your writing skills through blogging and sharing content. We value the interests and skills of the intern and support you to find opportunities for personal growth and development during the internship.
Duties and responsibilities:
The primary purpose of this position is to support Climate Generation with the following activities:
- Assist with the planning and execution of the Talk Climate Institute, March 25-26 in Duluth; including outreach, marketing, registration, event logistics, and coordination of event resources (must be available for these dates)
- Assist Education Program with the planning and execution of two Summer Educator Workshops; including marketing, outreach, event logistics, registration, and coordination of event resources
- Assist Public Engagement Program with program and event planning, and research and support of special projects (Silverwood Convening, Feb. 16)
- Assist Youth Program with prepping events, convenings and supporting projects, including the Youth Climate Justice Summit
Experience and Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent, some post-secondary encouraged
- Interest in nonprofits, event planning, climate change, environmental studies, communication, education, or related field.
- Experience in organizing and planning events, and demonstrated ability in carrying out tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Experience with research and reporting.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work scheduled hours and arrive on time. Must report to Climate Generation office (Minneapolis) for Internship.
- Ability to interact respectfully with diverse groups of people in a variety of settings.
- Personal computer required. Proficient in Apple, MS Word, Excel, and Google Suite.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit resume and cover letter describing why you are interested and your qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Programs Support Intern: last name, first name” in the subject heading. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will be considered through Feb. 1, 2019. No phone calls please.
Climate Generation: A Will Steger Legacy recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by law. We recognize climate change disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.