POSITION: Climate Change Education Manager
LOCATION: Climate Generation Office, Minneapolis, Minnesota
REPORTS TO: Director of Programs
TYPE: Full Time
Do you enjoy working with teachers?
Are you concerned about climate change and believe education is an essential solution?
Do you want to join an organization recognized as a national leader in climate change education?
Climate Generation: A Will Steger Legacy empowers individuals and their communities to engage in solutions to climate change. Based in the Twin Cities, Minnesota, Climate Generation strategically engages and empowers youth, educators, decision-makers and the public to foster climate literacy and action with the goal of building a more equitable and resilient future for all.
Climate Generation recognizes the complexity of climate change and the importance of interdisciplinary climate change education. The climate change education program builds educators confidence and competence to teach climate change in their educational setting by providing curriculum resources, professional development and ongoing support. Climate Generation’s curriculum resources are aligned to science, social studies, and language arts standards and encourage students to think beyond science alone. Climate Generation also values Traditional Ecological Knowledge, social justice education, and STEM education.
Climate Generation: A Will Steger Legacy recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status and other protected status as required by law. We recognize climate change disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society – including people of color, indigenous people, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities and to self-identify.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Climate Change Education Manager is an experienced educator with knowledge of climate change and academic standards, such as the Next Generation Science Standards and C3 Framework. Providing significant professional development of formal Grades 3-12 educators, this position will lead Climate Generation’s K-12 climate change education program. This position will provide strategy, leadership and staff supervision. Travel is required for this position with occasional evening and weekend commitments.
Program Support (65%)
- Work directly with the Director of Programs to develop a comprehensive annual work plan
- Provide vision and strategic ideas to build and grow climate change education initiatives
- Provide formative and summative evaluation of programming
- Lead educator professional development including staying abreast of current issues and research, designing and implementing workshops and trainings for formal and informal educators:
- This includes taking the lead on content and training for Summer Institute for Climate Change Education and #TeachClimate Network
- This includes designing professional development that uses engaging facilitation approaches including hands-on approaches
- This includes a commitment to equity considerations
- Collaborate with Youth and Policy Manager and Community Engagement Manager on initiatives related to equity, community engagement, youth, policy, new state science standards and green STEM careers/workforce development
- Curate, lead on development of, and update curricula resources including seeking new opportunities to grow the suite
- Develop, coordinate and implement partnership building for short term and sustained climate change education initiatives, promoting the program to and among national audiences and partners
- Supervise Education Coordinator, including their work plan and support of program implementation
- Develop content and manage monthly climate change education e-newsletter, including the management of education contacts
- Provide content for all Climate Generation communications and coordinate strategy and activities to maximize media coverage and/or visibility
- Develop, market and share resources and products that promote Climate Generation climate change education initiatives including webinars, workshops and presentations
- Responsible for fundraising for climate change education initiatives with Director of Programs and other staff to include grant writing, individual donor presentations, corporate and foundation relationships
- Work with Director of Programs to ensure compliance with all requirements of funders, including grant reporting, budget management, tracking participation, program participation and evaluation
Organizational Engagement and Health (15%)
- Ensure external programming and internal culture align with the organizational commitment to equity
- Engage in Climate Generation team functions
- Seek opportunities to grow professionally and encourage professional development of supervised staff
Experience and qualifications required:
- Bachelor’s degree related to environmental education, environmental science, climate change or similar degree
- Three or more years experience in two or more of the following areas: climate change education and/or outreach, classroom teaching, teacher professional development, pre-service teacher training, and/or curriculum development and evaluation
- Work experience in an educational setting (classroom experience or informal learning environment)
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment
- Experience in program management and supervising employees and/or interns
- Experience writing and implementing grants
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Master’s Degree related to climate change and/or climate change education
- Demonstrated success in obtaining funding
- Experience working in climate change education
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications ranging from $43,000 – $50,000, with additional benefits valued at $5,700. Climate Generation offers generous paid time off (20 days in first year of service), in addition to holidays and a paid holiday break, Summer Fridays, 403b retirement plan with a 3% match, and cell phone and medical premium reimbursement.
Hiring Process and Timeline:
- Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Put “Climate Change Education Manager, last name, first name” in the subject heading. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a candidate is hired
- Our hiring team will select finalists to interview in-person after a screening phone interview
- Ideally the selected candidate would begin work in January 2020
- People of color, Indigenous candidates, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions are encouraged to apply and self-identify.
Climate Generation: A Will Steger Legacy recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status and other protected status as required by law. We recognize climate change disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society – including people of color, indigenous people, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.