POSITION: Education Specialist
STATUS: 10 month, part-time seasonal employee (not benefits eligible), 20-25 hours/wk (November 2020-August 2021)
REPORTS TO: Climate Change Education Manager
Do you enjoy working with teachers?
Are you concerned about climate change and believe education is an essential solution?
Do you want to join an organization recognized as a national leader in climate change education?
Climate Generation: A Will Steger Legacy empowers individuals and their communities to engage in solutions to climate change. Based in the Twin Cities, Minnesota, Climate Generation strategically engages and empowers youth, educators, decision-makers and the public to foster climate literacy and action with the goal of building a more equitable and resilient future for all.
Climate Generation recognizes the complexity of climate change and the importance of interdisciplinary climate change education. The climate change education program builds educators confidence and competence to teach climate change in their educational setting by providing curriculum resources, professional development and ongoing support. Climate Generation’s curriculum resources are aligned to science, social studies, and language arts standards and encourage students to think beyond science alone. Climate Generation also values Traditional Ecological Knowledge, social justice education, and STEM education.
Climate Generation: A Will Steger Legacy recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status and other protected status as required by law. We recognize climate change disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society – including people of color, indigenous people, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities and to self-identify.
Duties and responsibilities:
The primary purpose of this position is to provide support to the education program in the area of climate change education, including K-12 formal, informal and higher ED, and programs outreach and communications.
Program Support (50%)
- Support the Climate Generation Education Team in developing and implementing a plan to expand and support the Teach Climate Network
- Support and manage shared content, communications, and virtual programming on the Teach Climate Network Community Hub
- Provide general program support for the Green STEM Careers initiative with Trane and the Education Team
- Support the development and implementation of the annual Summer Institute for Climate Change Education, a multiday virtual or hybrid professional development training for formal and informal educators from across the nation
- Support the organization with program evaluation and events support
- Support outreach and marketing for Climate Generation’s climate change education resources and curricula
- Market the education program and events through community and organizational calendars, direct contacts, and social media content
- Support the development and implementation of the education communications and data collection system in collaboration with the Communications Team and the Education Team
Organizational Engagement and Health (20%)
- Be knowledgeable about Climate Generation’s history and mission, and represent the organization to partners and the public
- Engage in team functions, including events, team meetings, and marketing, as available
- Collaborate with Organizational Development & Equity Manager, and other colleagues, to ensure that Climate Generation’s equity framework is used to develop and deliver climate change education programs
- Participate in diversity, equity, and inclusion work across the organization, as available
- Bachelor’s degree related to environmental education, environmental science, climate change or similar degree
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and virtual communication etiquette
- Interest and willingness to explore and learn new technologies used in virtual work and education program environments
- Experience in one of the following areas: climate change education and/or outreach, teacher professional development, and/or pre-service teacher training
- Experience or interest in communications, marketing, and/or developing social media content.
Hiring Process and Timeline:
- Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Put “Education Specialist, last name, first name” in the subject heading. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a candidate is hired.
- Our hiring team will select finalists to interview in-person after a screening phone interview
- Ideally the selected candidate would begin work in November 2020
- People of color, Indigenous candidates, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions are encouraged to apply and self-identify.
Climate Generation: A Will Steger Legacy recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status and other protected status as required by law. We recognize climate change disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society – including people of color, indigenous people, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.