Climate Generation has major staff announcements:
With sadness and appreciation, we announce that Janet Brown, Associate Director, has offered her resignation, effective April 30. Hired in November 2007 as our second employee, Janet has helped me build Climate Generation to be the thriving, successful organization we have today. She has been my thought-partner on many decisions along the way, from our early years as an office of two to our current team of 13. She has spear-headed a generous and supportive team culture, established systems for robust development practices, and influenced our equity work from her deep commitment to social and climate justice. While I am personally sad to see Janet go, I’m truly excited for Janet’s next chapter to become an end-of-life doula.
As with any significant departure, this offers an opportunity to pause, reflect, and make changes to fill in gaps and intentionally position Climate Generation for the next phase of growth and impact.
With these changes, we are excited to announce two open positions:
- Development Director to lead and implement development strategy across our dynamic, mission-oriented organization
- Organizational Development and Equity Manager to facilitate organizational health and performance through strong human resource administration, organization development, a commitment to equity, and efficient operations
We are also promoting the following staff to these new roles:
- Kristen Poppleton, Senior Director of Programs, second most senior person in the organization, oversees all strategic programming and initiatives
- Robin Thorstenson, Senior Finance Manager, exclusively oversees all financial aspects of the organization and supports the Board of Directors
- Jothsna Harris, Senior Community Engagement Manager
- Megan Van Loh, Senior Education Coordinator
- Jason Rodney, Senior Youth Coordinator (effective April)
- Lauren Boritzke Smith, Senior Communications Coordinator (effective June)
On behalf of our entire Board and staff, please join me in honoring and thanking Janet for her commitment and dedication to Climate Generation and the issue of climate change! We will not be the same organization; Janet will be deeply missed by me and everyone who has been lucky to work and know Janet.
Please help us spread the word about the new positions. Finally, join me in congratulating Kristen, Robin, Megan, Jothsna, Jason and Lauren on their promotions!
These changes reflect an organization that is on solid ground and ready to meet the challenges and opportunities that the climate crisis demands in 2020 and beyond. Onward!