Climate Generation partnered with Minneapolis Public Schools for a second year to bring Green STEM Careers to their annual STEM & Career Exploration Expo on March 20th, 2019.
The Green Alley, a focused area of the Expo that highlighted environmental and energy organizations and companies, exposed over 2,000 eighth grade students to the exciting opportunities in Green STEM Careers. The need for students with an understanding of STEM has never been more important; there is a growing demand for people with STEM skills as the workforce expands and innovative solutions are required in the face of climate change.
Green Alley Exhibitors
- Climate Generation: Green STEM Careers and their connection to climate change
- Apex Efficiency Solutions: Solar energy
- BWBR: Green architecture and virtual reality
- Department of Commerce Energy Division: Green STEM Careers in Energy
- District Energy St. Paul/ Ever-Green Energy: Renewable energy
- Hennepin County Energy and the Environment: Recycling and composting
- Mississippi Watershed Management Organization (MWMO): Water management
- Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA): Water testing
- Science Museum Kitty Anderson Youth Center: Youth leadership and science programs
- Three Rivers Park District: Parks and outdoor education
- Uponor: Pipefitting
- Xcel Energy: Renewable energy and line truck
“A student was very enthusiastic about seeing our booth with the animal artifacts. They spoke about their knowledge and interest in working with animals. They were able to walk away knowing more about various career paths in the parks system.” – 2019 Exhibitor
“We loved engaging with the 8th graders and hearing some of their hopes and dreams for the future. We also loved having the opportunity to create interest in some students who may not have had any idea in what they wanted to do in their future when they walked in the door.” – 2019 Exhibitor
Students and STEM Careers
Our booth featured the Green STEM Careers Arcade this year! Students participated in several games and activities:
- Learn about Green STEM Careers in games of giant Jenga, Guess Who, and Plinko
- Create a crowdsource string art project by answering questions about their skills and career dreams
- Make their way through educational pathways and think about what high school classes they should take next year
- Watch our Green Careers for a Changing Climate documentary
The string art project has provided a creative outlet for students to express what they already know about themselves as it relates to Green STEM Careers and their education so far.
The 2019 string art results are in:
We asked students two final questions as they left the Green STEM Career Arcade:
What class can you take in high school to help prepare for a green STEM job?
What career did you find most interesting?
Through generous support from the Xcel Energy Foundation, we were able to show students the education pathways they could pursue in order to find a Green STEM Career. We recognize the growing need to prepare students for the clean energy revolution that is already happening and the opportunities that STEM careers can offer.
Thank you to our generous sponsor: